Around this time of year, every single year, we hear the same things come out of girl’s mouths.
“Call of Duty stole my boyfriend.”
“All he does is play that stupid video game!”
“Will you pay attention to me?!”
“No, I won’t make you a sandwich. Turn your stupid game off and make it yourself.”
Now I’m a gamer girl, so I don’t usually have this problem, but girls, this is for you. This is for those lonely nights when you feel single because of Call of Duty. This is for those Saturdays when you have nothing to do because your boyfriend is discovering Skyrim. This is for every single time your boyfriend has put a video game before you.
- Just pointing out the obvious here, but PLAY GAMES WITH HIM. You don’t even have to be good. There is nothing a gamer guy will find more attractive than his girlfriend playing a video game. He’ll know you’re making an effort and maybe you’ll win some of his attention back. Games aren’t just for guys.
- Actually make him the sandwich he wants. Okay, so I know this one sounds absolutely stupid, but guys like food. If you’re trying to fight for his attention, you can’t be mean! He likes his food and his games, so why not humor him? You get to be a better cook and win back some of your boyfriend’s attention, while finding some way to occupy your time.
- Hang out with your friends for once! Don’t get me wrong, you probably like to spend time with your boyfriend and there’s nothing wrong with him being your best friend (I know mine is), but it’s okay to want to have girl time with your friends. Go shopping, go out to eat, go to a bar, go DO something. There’s no reason for you to sit around and wait for your boyfriend to turn his game off. You finally have time that you can spend with all of your friends, so go have fun!
- Find a new hobby, or just a hobby in general. There are so many things you could be doing, but you might not have the spare time to do it. Maybe you can find out you really enjoy video games, or you like to make jewelry, or you like painting. Whatever it is, you have the time to do it. My suggestion? If it’s something you can do at home, do it in the same room as your boyfriend while he’s playing games. Even if you aren’t talking, at least you’re together, right?
- Get hot(ter). Most girls, myself included, have at one point complained that we’re fat, even if we aren’t. One of the secrets to feeling better about the way you look is to become more physically active. Work out a few days a week and you’ll not only see an improvement in the way you look, but also the way you feel. You can also treat yourself to a makeover if you want. The better you feel, the better you’ll look to your boyfriend, the sooner he’ll pull his eyes away from the screen for you.
- Catch up on your work. Boo, this one isn’t fun, but it’s true. We’re all guilty of procrastinating and sacrificing work to spend time with our boyfriends. I would rather hang out with my boyfriend than work out the enthalpy of heat in a reaction. Well, now’s the time to make your mother proud. Put in a little bit more time and see more results. Who says that you can’t be hot and nerdy? Absolutely no one.
- Relax. Relationships can be stressful, especially when you spend too much time together. Not spending every waking moment together will not only be healthy for both of you on your own, but also as a couple. Breathe a little bit; it’s not going to kill you!
- Watch all the shows and movies he would never watch with you. Let’s get real; most guys don’t want to watch Twilight or Glee. How many times have you begged your boyfriend to watch it with you? How many times have you ended up watching Super Troopers or South Park instead? Don’t get me wrong, those are some quality productions, but every once in awhile, it’s nice to be a girl. So, go ahead and watch them without worrying about whether or not he’s going to walk in and turn the game on.
- Clean up the mess he’s left for you. Do you realize how CLEAN everything is going to be? He’s hibernating in a room for who knows how long! There are no more messes for you to clean up, because he’s not letting you into his man cave; you might walk in front of the screen, and he’ll lose his headshot. Rejoice in the cleanliness that you will experience. It’ll be worth rejoicing over!
- Cuddle up next to him and watch. Okay, so I understand this sounds super boring, but it depends on who you are. I personally LOVE lying next to my boyfriend and watching him play his (and my) games. I get to spend time with him while he’s doing something that makes him happy, and with a good book, it’s pretty alright.
Now, if you’re offended by any of these, I apologize. More often than not, girls are going to complain when they don’t have the attention of their boyfriend. If there’s anything you’d like to add, just leave a comment and let us know! Until then, I hope you find comfort in the little things while your guy spends all of his time with the $60 happiness his game has brought to him.